Tuesday, March 9, 2010

This

year I was introduced to a new trend among college students that involves taking a little prescription drug known as Adderall. I won't name names but I've had the chance to interact with people in my social circle who have been on it regularly and honestly this drug scares me. It's one thing for a person who has ADHD to use Adderall as a tool to take control of their life, but when I see, excuse my french, STUPID people taking this drug illegally without a prescription it really grinds my gears.

The problem with this drug is that kids who don't need it look at it like it's some miracle drug. It allows you to be super focused on one task at a time and makes it easier to study for hours on end with unbroken concentration. The trend that goes along with this drug is taking Adderall to control ones weight. I have known friends who have lost significant amounts of weight in short periods of time just because they are taking Adderall. So your saying Jon. what's the problem here? A drug that can get me better grades and make me super skinny with no exercise! Sign me up! Well for those of you who are chomping at the bit to go bug your friends to start sharing their prescription drugs with you, take a look at the list of side effects that go along with this little miracle pill:

Side effects of Adderall abuse:

suppression of growth in height (if you are still growing)
excessive sweating
decreased appetite
excessive talking

nervousness
insomnia
nausea
vomiting
dizziness
heart palpitations
headaches
skin rashes
itching
digestive problems
toxic psychosis
drug dependence (addiction)
severe depression upon withdrawal

* I've highlighted in red some of the side effects I've observed in friends who are taking Adderall without a prescription.


Really I just wanted to talk about my frustration with the abuse of this drug and hopefully make whoever reads this think twice about starting/continuing the use of Adderall without a prescription. I have always been opposed to any type of prescription drugs and try to shy away from taking headache medicine as well. Understand that I'm not bashing everybody who is taking Adderall. There are people out there who legitimately need this drug to hold their lives together and for them this truly could be a miracle drug. But as far as using it as a performance enhancing drug/weight loss supplement, I'm going to have to give a very disapproving head shake.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

perhaps you should have gone about this a different way. this sounds like an angry, stubborn attack rather than a helpful warning that you say you want friends to read and consider.

Skills if you know me said...

All I'm trying to do is open some eyes to the dangers that come along with taking Adderall. I never said I would be friendly about it. Thanks for the input though.

Anonymous said...

If someone is moronic enough to abuse stimulants, then I have doubts that asking them nicely to "you know, maybe, kinda-sorta reconsider" their course of action will get through to them in the most efficient manner. Jon isn't really being out of line in this and I feel he took an incredibly diplomatic, reasonable approach toward letting someone know they're being a dumbass. He made it pretty clear that he was giving his honest and personal opinion on the matter.

Don't let haters clog yo blog, brother.

Skills if you know me said...

ha, It's all in good fun. I try not to take anything anybody says on the internet too serious. Thanks for the support though. : )

Anonymous said...

i'm not a hater.
i agree with a good portion of jon's blog. i'm only opening HIS eyes in how to approach "friends" who use (perhaps even abuse) these substances.


i'm not cloggin no blog!!